Blog: Confusion hangs over Bangladesh's wage talks
Leonie Barrie | 11 November 2013
Confusion and conflict seem to have characterised progress on plans to raise the minimum wage for millions of garment workers in Bangladesh.
According to an announcement by the government appointed wage board last week, pay is set to rise 77% to BDT5,300 (US$68.17) per month.
But labour leaders say that as far as they are concerned, discussions are still on-going, the rise was made without comprehensive consultation - and that they plan to hold out for a hike to a living wage of US$120.
Bangladesh's apparel manufacturers, meanwhile, have threatened to shut down all facilities if the proposed wage rise is not lowered within the next 15 days.
Efforts by Levi Strauss & Co to make its products more socially and environmentally sustainable have been taken to new heights with a smart design initiative said to benefit consumers, apparel workers and the environment. The "ground-breaking" approach is seen for the first time in the Dockers Wellthread capsule collection of khakis, jackets and T-shirts for men.
And for Hong Kong based Crystal Group, one of Asia's largest garment manufacturers, efforts to put sustainability at the heart of its business are seen as key to driving improved productivity and profitability. Progress towards its goals has just been outlined in the company's fourth and latest sustainability report, which takes the theme of 'Total Innovation.
Despite low expectations, US apparel retailers managed to overcome a number of hurdles in October - including the government shutdown and soft economic growth - to post same-store sales gains for the month. But many chains continue to express caution heading into the all-important holiday season.
Teen apparel chains are facing some of the toughest times, and Abercrombie & Fitch is no exception. The retailer is making changes to its assortment, sourcing and inventory planning strategies as part of a raft of new initiatives to try to win back customers after third-quarter comparable sales tumbled 14%. It also said it will shutter its standalone Gilly Hicks stores.
And a question mark continues to hang over Marks & Spencer's clothing performance after the retailer recorded its ninth consecutive quarterly decline in like-for-like general merchandise sales - despite the much-publicised re-launch of its autumn/winter women's wear ranges in September.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- Bangladesh apparel sector faces up to challenges
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Gap working to rebuild and gain market share
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US Q4 in brief – American Eagle Outfitters
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Adidas unveils "revolutionary" marathon shoe
- Myanmar forms new minimum wage committee
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022