Blog: Credit crunch brides head to Bhs
Joe Ayling | 14 January 2009
In times of economic hardship many brides will be looking to add something extra to the customary "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" - and that is something cheap.
Selling an entire bridal outfit including shoes for GBP100, it seems UK department store chain Bhs is ready to capitalise on a credit crunched UK wedding market.
Bhs' outfit consists of a Duchess satin bodice, A-line skirt and embellished shoes, and sees the chain headline the affordable wedding dress category alongside high street stores like Monsoon.
For most women, wedding dresses are often nearer to the bottom of the list when it comes to cutting back for the big day, but hats off to Bhs for trying.
It will be interesting to see if jewellers, florists, wedding planners and caterers follow suit.
Joe Ayling, news editor.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022