Blog: Crocs to be 'unEarthed' by new comfy shoe?
Joe Ayling | 10 August 2007
A visit to the tip last night, which in the part of England I live in happens to be the most effective method of recycling around.
The fact that you have to drive seven miles with a car full of cardboard before invariably queueing for another quarter of an hour demonstrates that the UK government has a long way to go before it stops talking such a big environmental game to the corporates and starts playing one with the public.
Anyway, rant aside, one of the workers there who was responsible for sorting the different skips and directing the droves approached me unloading and said: "How much did you pay for them?" pointing to my new red Crocs.
"What's it to you," I wanted to say, but refrained.
"I brought ten pairs of them back from Thailand, guess how much? - Three quid each." He was of course talking about the many copycat Crocs around the world that look identical but are one tenth as comfortable in the bargain. Politely, I pretended to be surprised and finished off tipping an old carpet in the 'household' skip.
Just when I thought the conversation had dried up though, he called a colleague over and there they stood, staring at my bright red shoes as if they were were not only holey, but 'holy'.
"You know what the best ones are now though don't you," his pal said. "Earth sandals, they tilt to keep your back upright."
With my consumer research over I was on my way. "Thanks for the tip," I said - and I think they knew in what sense I meant it. Still in my head this morning I just had to check out Earth sandals and below is the result, with no 'spin'.
By Joe Ayling.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022