Blog: CSR digs deeper into the supply chain
Leonie Barrie | 1 September 2011
When it comes to labour issues, not only does the apparel industry get hit on all sides, from NGOs to governments, but the list of corporate social responsibilities is growing ever longer. Labour is now just one of many issues that include environment, safety, ethics and anti-corruption.
And while there was a time when each of these areas of responsibility could be satisfied with a statement of assurance, it has now evolved to the stage where each company is responsible for sufficient due diligence within its own organisation, within its immediate supplier chain, and even beyond. CSR is digging deeper and deeper into the supply chain, and it's increasingly expected that the seller, at the retail level or at the vendor level, should ensure that even the raw materials suppliers with whom they deal are compliant with the same standards that the seller applies to himself.
A case in point is the California Transparency in Supply Chains Act, which goes into effect next January. It extends responsibilities not just into the international supply chain, but puts pressure on retailers and manufacturers to bring about change in producers and suppliers over whom they likely have no contact or control.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report