Blog: Department stores take lion's share
Joe Ayling | 15 January 2008
The relative success of UK department stores John Lewis, House of Fraser and Debenhams have overshadowed Christmas sales figures at Marks & Spencer and Next.
An interesting article from the BBC today looks at why UK department stores are enjoying something of a renaissance despite the general worries about consumer spending.
Not only do they offer dedicated floors for perfume, men's wear, women's wear and home products, but refurbishment, website sales and extended opening times have contributed to their growth. But these are also tactics common to all retailers aren't they?
A notable distinction during Christmas, however, is the convenience of buying all your gifts under one reputable roof (the willingness of British consumers to buy a gigantic plasma TV in exchange for a month's wages helps too).
Unfortunately, well-publicised lower consumer spending in the UK at Christmas meant that while larger department stores managed to lure people in from the cold, not many were left needing shelter.
For a roundup of Festive trading in the UK, also take a look at just-style's 'In the money' feature.
By Joe Ayling, news editor
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Guess four-point plan to drive profit in Americas
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack