Blog: Drizzly Istanbul hosts apparel conference
Joe Ayling | 4 May 2011
It is a pleasure this week to report from Turkey, where just-style has been invited to the Istanbul Fashion Apparel Conference 2011.
Overcast weather and slight drizzle here comes as somewhat of a surprise though, especially given the tropical climate we've become accustomed to in the UK over the past few weeks.
It makes me wonder whether colleagues back home did some kind of Turkish rain dance on learning of my trip.
Nevertheless, having glanced at the city's culinary, architectural and retail prowess during my journey from the airport tonight, it will be intriguing to find out more about Turkish industry.
And while the language barrier was a slight thorn in my side finding the hotel this evening, vast colourful displays of fabric in shop after shop ensured 'tekstil' was one word I did learn.
Turkish apparel and textile exports showed signs of recovery last year after feeling the effects of the downturn in 2008 and 2009. However, recent moves to apply safeguard measures on certain imports into the country suggests it is not out of the woods just yet.
Speakers at this week's conference, which begins tomorrow morning, include Paolo Zegna, president of Ermenegildo Zegna, and Abel Lopez Cernadas, import/export and transport director for Inditex Group.
And come rain or shine, just-style will be there to break developments from Istanbul as they happen throughout the next few days.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report