Blog: Drizzly Istanbul hosts apparel conference
Joe Ayling | 4 May 2011
It is a pleasure this week to report from Turkey, where just-style has been invited to the Istanbul Fashion Apparel Conference 2011.
Overcast weather and slight drizzle here comes as somewhat of a surprise though, especially given the tropical climate we've become accustomed to in the UK over the past few weeks.
It makes me wonder whether colleagues back home did some kind of Turkish rain dance on learning of my trip.
Nevertheless, having glanced at the city's culinary, architectural and retail prowess during my journey from the airport tonight, it will be intriguing to find out more about Turkish industry.
And while the language barrier was a slight thorn in my side finding the hotel this evening, vast colourful displays of fabric in shop after shop ensured 'tekstil' was one word I did learn.
Turkish apparel and textile exports showed signs of recovery last year after feeling the effects of the downturn in 2008 and 2009. However, recent moves to apply safeguard measures on certain imports into the country suggests it is not out of the woods just yet.
Speakers at this week's conference, which begins tomorrow morning, include Paolo Zegna, president of Ermenegildo Zegna, and Abel Lopez Cernadas, import/export and transport director for Inditex Group.
And come rain or shine, just-style will be there to break developments from Istanbul as they happen throughout the next few days.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report