Blog: Drizzly Istanbul hosts apparel conference
Joe Ayling | 4 May 2011
It is a pleasure this week to report from Turkey, where just-style has been invited to the Istanbul Fashion Apparel Conference 2011.
Overcast weather and slight drizzle here comes as somewhat of a surprise though, especially given the tropical climate we've become accustomed to in the UK over the past few weeks.
It makes me wonder whether colleagues back home did some kind of Turkish rain dance on learning of my trip.
Nevertheless, having glanced at the city's culinary, architectural and retail prowess during my journey from the airport tonight, it will be intriguing to find out more about Turkish industry.
And while the language barrier was a slight thorn in my side finding the hotel this evening, vast colourful displays of fabric in shop after shop ensured 'tekstil' was one word I did learn.
Turkish apparel and textile exports showed signs of recovery last year after feeling the effects of the downturn in 2008 and 2009. However, recent moves to apply safeguard measures on certain imports into the country suggests it is not out of the woods just yet.
Speakers at this week's conference, which begins tomorrow morning, include Paolo Zegna, president of Ermenegildo Zegna, and Abel Lopez Cernadas, import/export and transport director for Inditex Group.
And come rain or shine, just-style will be there to break developments from Istanbul as they happen throughout the next few days.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective