Blog: Eastern promise
Leonie Barrie | 20 October 2003
My over-riding impressions of this Indian Ocean island where textiles and apparel make up more than half of total exports? Well, in addition to an emphasis on specialisation and adding value through design and marketing, two things stood out. The first, an unprecedented number of partnerships between seemingly competitive firms, all working together to mutual advantage. And secondly, a genuine commitment to employee welfare and the realisation that workers are not a disposable commodity but a value-adding resource.
I am indebted to the Sri Lankan Export Development Board for making the trip possible and also setting up numerous meetings with everyone from government ministers to trade chiefs to manufacturers. The findings of my visit will be published on just-style.com in the coming weeks.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report