Blog: Eastern promise
Leonie Barrie | 20 October 2003
My over-riding impressions of this Indian Ocean island where textiles and apparel make up more than half of total exports? Well, in addition to an emphasis on specialisation and adding value through design and marketing, two things stood out. The first, an unprecedented number of partnerships between seemingly competitive firms, all working together to mutual advantage. And secondly, a genuine commitment to employee welfare and the realisation that workers are not a disposable commodity but a value-adding resource.
I am indebted to the Sri Lankan Export Development Board for making the trip possible and also setting up numerous meetings with everyone from government ministers to trade chiefs to manufacturers. The findings of my visit will be published on just-style.com in the coming weeks.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022