Blog: Eastern promise
Leonie Barrie | 20 October 2003
My over-riding impressions of this Indian Ocean island where textiles and apparel make up more than half of total exports? Well, in addition to an emphasis on specialisation and adding value through design and marketing, two things stood out. The first, an unprecedented number of partnerships between seemingly competitive firms, all working together to mutual advantage. And secondly, a genuine commitment to employee welfare and the realisation that workers are not a disposable commodity but a value-adding resource.
I am indebted to the Sri Lankan Export Development Board for making the trip possible and also setting up numerous meetings with everyone from government ministers to trade chiefs to manufacturers. The findings of my visit will be published on just-style.com in the coming weeks.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective