Blog: Ethical wardrobes go mainstream
Leonie Barrie | 14 February 2013
With ethical consumerism on the rise - especially among young people - a new challenge facing retailers who want to tap into this market is that of producing animal-free fashions. And indeed, taking materials like leather, fur, wool, silk, down and exotic skins out of the supply chain is nothing short of a challenge.
But it's one to which retailers and brands are rising.
From high street favourites like H&M and Topshop, to top designers such as Vivienne Westwood and Stella McCartney, all have been praised for their dedication to ethical sourcing and animal welfare by the animal rights group PETA.
To coincide with the launch of a new logo, which designers and retailers can use to identify vegan clothes and accessories that they sell online or in stores, PETA has recognsed what it describes as "the best cruelty-free contributions" to the fashion world.
The first-ever PETA-Approved Vegan Fashion Awards are a clear sign that companies are responding to the shift away from disposable fashion and towards responsible consumerism.
Two terrorist attacks in Bangladesh over the past week have left the country's key garment industry in turmoil, with buyers rethinking travel plans and potential economic fallout for a sector reliant ...
Britain's historic vote in favour of leaving the European Union (EU) has left retailers and manufacturers mulling the consequences as the nation prepares for a long period of political and economic un...
A lack of speed in the apparel supply chain is being blamed for weaker merchandise margins, with significant structural changes needed to create a more consistent, faster and efficient sourcing model....
An overhaul of its supply chain is at the heart of restructuring plans revealed last week by Ralph Lauren's newly-appointed CEO Stefan Larsson, including a new test pipeline, shorter lead times, reduc...
- TPP tariff phase-out guides Vietnam sourcing plans
- Why fast fashion isn't a case of one size fits all
- How Central America garment sourcing measures up
- How virtual garments could shape fashion retail
- Brexit Trade Focus – How a CANZ-UK FTA stacks up
- Ethiopia opens flagship textile and apparel park
- VF confident on "solid" sustainability roadmap
- VF Corp cuts guidance as Q2 profit plunges 70%
- Inditex and Lenzing sign textile waste pact
- EU and US dispute China raw materials duties
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Luxury Goods Retailing in Europe, 2014-2019 ; Market & Category Expenditure and Forecasts, Trends, and Competitive Landscape
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis