Blog: Ethical wardrobes go mainstream
Leonie Barrie | 14 February 2013
With ethical consumerism on the rise - especially among young people - a new challenge facing retailers who want to tap into this market is that of producing animal-free fashions. And indeed, taking materials like leather, fur, wool, silk, down and exotic skins out of the supply chain is nothing short of a challenge.
But it's one to which retailers and brands are rising.
From high street favourites like H&M and Topshop, to top designers such as Vivienne Westwood and Stella McCartney, all have been praised for their dedication to ethical sourcing and animal welfare by the animal rights group PETA.
To coincide with the launch of a new logo, which designers and retailers can use to identify vegan clothes and accessories that they sell online or in stores, PETA has recognsed what it describes as "the best cruelty-free contributions" to the fashion world.
The first-ever PETA-Approved Vegan Fashion Awards are a clear sign that companies are responding to the shift away from disposable fashion and towards responsible consumerism.
We’re offering a range of daily deals on just-style research this week, with each day offering an opportunity to purchase two different reports at reduced rates....
A lot was written about Amazon on just-style last week, following a prediction that the internet giant could take the top spot for US apparel retailing by 2017. The retailer also posted a surprise sec...
Apparel imports into the US continued on their upward trajectory in May, with China bouncing back from its second decline this year, Vietnam surging and Bangladesh up again. But while eight of the top...
Anger and frustration is brewing in Myanmar over plans announced last week to set the country’s first minimum wage at MMK3,600 (US$3.22) per day. ...
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Eliminating risk tops sustainability agenda
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020