Blog: Fakes on Ebay
Leonie Barrie | 21 September 2006
Louis Vuitton wants €20m while Dior Couture wants a further €17million in damages for fakes sold on Ebay between 2001 and 2005, after the company’s research found 90% of items sold under its labels on the site are fake.
At stake is the issue of who is ultimately responsible for the fakes that are listed on Ebay. Should Ebay police the site itself and make sure counterfeit goods aren’t traded, or are the manufacturers responsible for chase down the people selling the fake items?
Well, if an earlier ruling is anything to go by, then the Internet companies do seem to have some responsibility. In June, Louis Vuitton won a landmark ruling forbidding Google from allowing advertisements for competitors or counterfeiters to appear on searches for the Vuitton brand. The closely watched trademark case showed just how rigorously Louis Vuitton is prepared to pursue its relentless battle against counterfeiting, in particular on the Internet, and that major changes can be imposed.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022