Blog: Fashion nightmares
Leonie Barrie | 20 October 2005
I’m sure we’ve all got fashion mistakes lurking somewhere in our sartorial pasts; who hasn’t glanced at an old photograph and cringed to see oneself in a hideous outfit that seemed so ‘in’ at the time? A few fashion anomalies that spring to mind might include safari suits and platform soles, hot pants, kipper ties, knitted tank tops and paper dresses, Afghan coats, shell suits and tartan trews, boob tubes and Val Doonican jumpers.
Well if you care to re-live these visible nightmares, dress historian Catherine Horwood has trawled through the archives and reveals the results in her new book, ‘Worst Fashions: What we shouldn’t have worn … but did.’ We all make mistakes, and here they are. As the author points out though: “Good taste is better than bad taste but bad taste is better than no taste.”
The book hasn’t been published yet, but for those of you wanting to re-visit what we’ve been wearing for the past 50 years, Amazon is already taking orders. Just in time for Christmas…
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts