Blog: Fashion nightmares
Leonie Barrie | 20 October 2005
I’m sure we’ve all got fashion mistakes lurking somewhere in our sartorial pasts; who hasn’t glanced at an old photograph and cringed to see oneself in a hideous outfit that seemed so ‘in’ at the time? A few fashion anomalies that spring to mind might include safari suits and platform soles, hot pants, kipper ties, knitted tank tops and paper dresses, Afghan coats, shell suits and tartan trews, boob tubes and Val Doonican jumpers.
Well if you care to re-live these visible nightmares, dress historian Catherine Horwood has trawled through the archives and reveals the results in her new book, ‘Worst Fashions: What we shouldn’t have worn … but did.’ We all make mistakes, and here they are. As the author points out though: “Good taste is better than bad taste but bad taste is better than no taste.”
The book hasn’t been published yet, but for those of you wanting to re-visit what we’ve been wearing for the past 50 years, Amazon is already taking orders. Just in time for Christmas…
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Bangladesh calls for duty-free access to US
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022