Blog: Fashion nightmares
Leonie Barrie | 20 October 2005
I’m sure we’ve all got fashion mistakes lurking somewhere in our sartorial pasts; who hasn’t glanced at an old photograph and cringed to see oneself in a hideous outfit that seemed so ‘in’ at the time? A few fashion anomalies that spring to mind might include safari suits and platform soles, hot pants, kipper ties, knitted tank tops and paper dresses, Afghan coats, shell suits and tartan trews, boob tubes and Val Doonican jumpers.
Well if you care to re-live these visible nightmares, dress historian Catherine Horwood has trawled through the archives and reveals the results in her new book, ‘Worst Fashions: What we shouldn’t have worn … but did.’ We all make mistakes, and here they are. As the author points out though: “Good taste is better than bad taste but bad taste is better than no taste.”
The book hasn’t been published yet, but for those of you wanting to re-visit what we’ve been wearing for the past 50 years, Amazon is already taking orders. Just in time for Christmas…
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
The recent bankruptcy of South Korea's Hanjin Shipping, the world's seventh-largest container shipper, at the end of August, has left billions of dollars worth of merchandise in limbo, leaving the fal...
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020