Blog: Fashion nightmares
Leonie Barrie | 20 October 2005
I’m sure we’ve all got fashion mistakes lurking somewhere in our sartorial pasts; who hasn’t glanced at an old photograph and cringed to see oneself in a hideous outfit that seemed so ‘in’ at the time? A few fashion anomalies that spring to mind might include safari suits and platform soles, hot pants, kipper ties, knitted tank tops and paper dresses, Afghan coats, shell suits and tartan trews, boob tubes and Val Doonican jumpers.
Well if you care to re-live these visible nightmares, dress historian Catherine Horwood has trawled through the archives and reveals the results in her new book, ‘Worst Fashions: What we shouldn’t have worn … but did.’ We all make mistakes, and here they are. As the author points out though: “Good taste is better than bad taste but bad taste is better than no taste.”
The book hasn’t been published yet, but for those of you wanting to re-visit what we’ve been wearing for the past 50 years, Amazon is already taking orders. Just in time for Christmas…
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022