Blog: Fashionable New Year’s honours
Leonie Barrie | 3 January 2008
A number of prominent business leaders and entrepreneurs from the fashion industry were recognised for their outstanding achievement and service in the 2008 New Year Honours List.
Among them are M&S chief executive Stuart Rose, who has been awarded with a knighthood after managing to reverse a decline in sales and profits in less than three years. His knighthood comes 18 months after that of his friend and business rival, Sir Philip Green.
Hong Kong based entrepreneur David Tang, founder of the Shanghai Tang clothing company, was also honoured with a knighthood in the diplomatic list for his charity work in the UK.
CBEs were handed out to Richard Bradbury, chief executive of clothing retailer River Island, and Maurice Bennett, the owner of the Warehouse Group, Oasis stores and Phase Eight.
And fashion designers Jasper Conran and Karen Millen received OBE awards.
Congratulations to all.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective