Blog: Fashionable New Year’s honours
Leonie Barrie | 3 January 2008
A number of prominent business leaders and entrepreneurs from the fashion industry were recognised for their outstanding achievement and service in the 2008 New Year Honours List.
Among them are M&S chief executive Stuart Rose, who has been awarded with a knighthood after managing to reverse a decline in sales and profits in less than three years. His knighthood comes 18 months after that of his friend and business rival, Sir Philip Green.
Hong Kong based entrepreneur David Tang, founder of the Shanghai Tang clothing company, was also honoured with a knighthood in the diplomatic list for his charity work in the UK.
CBEs were handed out to Richard Bradbury, chief executive of clothing retailer River Island, and Maurice Bennett, the owner of the Warehouse Group, Oasis stores and Phase Eight.
And fashion designers Jasper Conran and Karen Millen received OBE awards.
Congratulations to all.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020