Blog: Fashionable New Year’s honours
Leonie Barrie | 3 January 2008
A number of prominent business leaders and entrepreneurs from the fashion industry were recognised for their outstanding achievement and service in the 2008 New Year Honours List.
Among them are M&S chief executive Stuart Rose, who has been awarded with a knighthood after managing to reverse a decline in sales and profits in less than three years. His knighthood comes 18 months after that of his friend and business rival, Sir Philip Green.
Hong Kong based entrepreneur David Tang, founder of the Shanghai Tang clothing company, was also honoured with a knighthood in the diplomatic list for his charity work in the UK.
CBEs were handed out to Richard Bradbury, chief executive of clothing retailer River Island, and Maurice Bennett, the owner of the Warehouse Group, Oasis stores and Phase Eight.
And fashion designers Jasper Conran and Karen Millen received OBE awards.
Congratulations to all.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Where next for Corporate Human Rights Benchmark?
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – Finish Line, Oxford Industries
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Adidas mulls roll-out of in-store customisation
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing