Blog: Fashionable New Year’s honours
Leonie Barrie | 3 January 2008
A number of prominent business leaders and entrepreneurs from the fashion industry were recognised for their outstanding achievement and service in the 2008 New Year Honours List.
Among them are M&S chief executive Stuart Rose, who has been awarded with a knighthood after managing to reverse a decline in sales and profits in less than three years. His knighthood comes 18 months after that of his friend and business rival, Sir Philip Green.
Hong Kong based entrepreneur David Tang, founder of the Shanghai Tang clothing company, was also honoured with a knighthood in the diplomatic list for his charity work in the UK.
CBEs were handed out to Richard Bradbury, chief executive of clothing retailer River Island, and Maurice Bennett, the owner of the Warehouse Group, Oasis stores and Phase Eight.
And fashion designers Jasper Conran and Karen Millen received OBE awards.
Congratulations to all.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Adidas unveils "revolutionary" marathon shoe
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022