Blog: Fast fashion
Leonie Barrie | 16 December 2003
In contracting Exel to provide a range of logistics services for its children’s wear Zip Project, Marks & Spencer will be banking on some hefty returns in terms of lower costs and improved lead times. The move is also significant in that it marks the growing trend for fashion retailers to outsource specialised aspects of their supply chains in an attempt to give them a competitive edge. M&S says it wants Zip to be a "world-class benchmark" in its industry and has no doubt studied the stellar rise of Zara with its finely-tuned high-speed, frequent delivery supply chain strategy. However, Zara has just posted a salutary lesson in its third-quarter results, blaming the hot summer for a drop in sales as shoppers bought cheaper summer clothes and shunned more expensive items such as coats. It seems that no matter how innovative the business model, the weather is something that cannot be predicted.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016