Blog: Fermented fashion
Leonie Barrie | 16 March 2007
It might be a work of art now, but who knows where this Australian discovery might lead? The idea of wearing clothes derived from the sludge produced by bacteria in a vat of fermenting wine might seem far-fetched, but stranger things have already happened in the fashion industry. Take fibres derived from corn and bamboo, for example, which are now in commercial production, or materials incorporating spiders’ silk, paper, glass, nettles, milk and fine steel filaments which have all progressed beyond the drawing board to practical applications. Obviously there’s a little fine-tuning to be done still on the fermenting alcohol route, including research to try to make the fibres longer so they don’t break when dry, but this bizarre source of cellulose may well turn out to be the fashion of the future.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- "Buy American, Hire American" to guide Trump trade
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Trump signs order to withdraw from TPP
- UK clothing factory workers paid half minimum wage
- Auditing "in need of reinvention" says new project
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022