Blog: Final day in crazy Colombo
Joe Ayling | 15 November 2010
I'm nearing the end of my trip to Colombo for the Sri Lanka Design Festival 2010, which is showing few signs of fizzling out.
As fashion brands try to ink last-minute deals with local suppliers, just-style set off set off down Colombo's coast to interview Brandix CEO Ashroff Omar.
He was in fine form, describing how while other industries were making more money yet selling better products, apparel retailers had fallen behind.
Brandix offers a vertical supply chain, and is one of Sri Lanka's largest suppliers to the Western market. Omar also said that the company had not yet been affected by the removal of GSP+, but warned of a possible lag effect.
Having interviewed one of Sri Lanka's most successful businessmen for half an hour I left the office upbeat.
Unfortunately, though, my driver was nowhere to be seen, prompting a local guard to beckon him from the beach without further ado. My trusty chauffeur returned but was dripping wet and shaking his head.
Turns out he'd used the 'free time' - as they all call it here - to have a bit of a stroll along the waterfront, but had dropped his phone into sea. As the time passed by he was plunged into darkness as the lapping waves washed away his cherished mobile phone.
Fear not though, because I have taken his address to send him a redundant one from my old gadgets drawer back home.
Farewell from a now-stormy Colombo, just how just-style found it a week ago.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- EU urged to adopt roadmap for Sri Lanka GSP+ bid
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack