Blog: Final day in crazy Colombo
Joe Ayling | 15 November 2010
I'm nearing the end of my trip to Colombo for the Sri Lanka Design Festival 2010, which is showing few signs of fizzling out.
As fashion brands try to ink last-minute deals with local suppliers, just-style set off set off down Colombo's coast to interview Brandix CEO Ashroff Omar.
He was in fine form, describing how while other industries were making more money yet selling better products, apparel retailers had fallen behind.
Brandix offers a vertical supply chain, and is one of Sri Lanka's largest suppliers to the Western market. Omar also said that the company had not yet been affected by the removal of GSP+, but warned of a possible lag effect.
Having interviewed one of Sri Lanka's most successful businessmen for half an hour I left the office upbeat.
Unfortunately, though, my driver was nowhere to be seen, prompting a local guard to beckon him from the beach without further ado. My trusty chauffeur returned but was dripping wet and shaking his head.
Turns out he'd used the 'free time' - as they all call it here - to have a bit of a stroll along the waterfront, but had dropped his phone into sea. As the time passed by he was plunged into darkness as the lapping waves washed away his cherished mobile phone.
Fear not though, because I have taken his address to send him a redundant one from my old gadgets drawer back home.
Farewell from a now-stormy Colombo, just how just-style found it a week ago.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016