Blog: Firefighters to boldly go...
Leonie Barrie | 6 March 2006
Good to hear that the work being done by the European Space Agency - which bills itself as ‘Europe’s gateway to space’ – is also benefiting those of us with our feet firmly on the ground. The technology used in space suits to protect astronauts from overheating when exposed to direct sunlight during space walks is now being used to develop protective clothing to safeguard firefighters and steel workers who often work in extremely hot and dangerous conditions.
Apparently heat strokes and heat stress affects more than 50,000 European workers each year, so the ESA’s Safe&Cool project is now researching a special 3D protective material with a built-in cooling system.
The cooling apparatus has already been used in clothing for Formula-1 McLaren mechanics and the Spanish Moto-GP driver, Sete Gibernau. But one company in the Safe&Cool consortium wants to use the system inside passenger seats in cars and public transport. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘sitting in the hot seat’ doesn’t it?
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Taiwan textile maker investing in first US plant
- Outdoor apparel sector set for double-digit growth