Blog: Firefighters to boldly go...
Leonie Barrie | 6 March 2006
Good to hear that the work being done by the European Space Agency - which bills itself as ‘Europe’s gateway to space’ – is also benefiting those of us with our feet firmly on the ground. The technology used in space suits to protect astronauts from overheating when exposed to direct sunlight during space walks is now being used to develop protective clothing to safeguard firefighters and steel workers who often work in extremely hot and dangerous conditions.
Apparently heat strokes and heat stress affects more than 50,000 European workers each year, so the ESA’s Safe&Cool project is now researching a special 3D protective material with a built-in cooling system.
The cooling apparatus has already been used in clothing for Formula-1 McLaren mechanics and the Spanish Moto-GP driver, Sete Gibernau. But one company in the Safe&Cool consortium wants to use the system inside passenger seats in cars and public transport. Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase ‘sitting in the hot seat’ doesn’t it?
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar