Blog: First family effect
Leonie Barrie | 23 January 2009
The new US first family seems to have the Midas touch right now, and one of the main beneficiaries this week was clothing retailer J Crew, which wasted no time in telling the world of its contribution to Tuesday’s inauguration ceremony.
“First inspiration” is how the company’s website describes the outfits it designed for Obama’s daughters Malia and Sasha to wear at the swearing in of the 44th President of the US (in periwinkle and sweet guava, it gushes), while First lady Michelle Obama wore J Crew gloves, cardigan and skirt at various events throughout the week.
The company’s shares soared after telling the world of its contribution to “the most important day in history.” And even the President provided the ultimate celebrity endorsement by wearing a J Crew white satin bow tie to all the inaugural balls.
“We are honoured to have played a part in their inaugural week,” the website proclaims – and no doubt cheered by the extra business it is likely to bring.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Guess four-point plan to drive profit in Americas
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack