Blog: Footwear fury
Leonie Barrie | 9 October 2006
In European Union circles, apathy seems to count for more than action. Take last week’s voting on the introduction of anti-dumping duties on footwear imports from China and Vietnam. Even though a majority of 12 EU member states voted against the Commission’s proposals – and just nine voted in favour of them – it was still passed.
Why? Because four other member states abstained from the voting, and under EU rules, an abstention is considered a vote in favour of the Commission’s proposal. Therefore, the Commissions recommendations were carried on a 13 (9 Yes + 4 Abstentions) to 12 vote. So the footwear industry will now be hounded for the next two years by a ruling that no-one really wanted in the first place. The same thing happened when voting took place to introduce preliminary anti-dumping duties earlier this year. Surely it’s a case of bureaucracy gone barmy?
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Apparel factory auditing is in the firing line
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- "Buy American, Hire American" to guide Trump trade
- Ten retail trends to watch for in 2017
- Trump signs order to withdraw from TPP
- UK clothing factory workers paid half minimum wage
- Brands need to tackle Turkey factory refugee abuse
- Patagonia launching circular economy platform
- Auditing "in need of reinvention" says new project
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022