Blog: Footwear fury
Leonie Barrie | 9 October 2006
In European Union circles, apathy seems to count for more than action. Take last week’s voting on the introduction of anti-dumping duties on footwear imports from China and Vietnam. Even though a majority of 12 EU member states voted against the Commission’s proposals – and just nine voted in favour of them – it was still passed.
Why? Because four other member states abstained from the voting, and under EU rules, an abstention is considered a vote in favour of the Commission’s proposal. Therefore, the Commissions recommendations were carried on a 13 (9 Yes + 4 Abstentions) to 12 vote. So the footwear industry will now be hounded for the next two years by a ruling that no-one really wanted in the first place. The same thing happened when voting took place to introduce preliminary anti-dumping duties earlier this year. Surely it’s a case of bureaucracy gone barmy?
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Throwaway fast fashion model needs re-think
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack