Blog: Free and fair trade?
Leonie Barrie | 21 June 2004
Thursday’s summit meeting in Brussels was always going to be a volatile event, but some of the sound-bites I’ve heard seem to suggest that the various trade groups calling for a delay to the lifting of quotas are really playing up to the full glare of the media. Describing the expiration of quotas – for which they’ve had 10 years to prepare – as “a crisis of biblical proportions” for example. Or that without a crackdown' on imports from China governments will face “economic, political and social unrest around the world.”
If a decade has not been enough time to prepare for 1 January 2005, what difference is another couple of years going to make? And how would safeguards really help stem job losses – quotas have had little impact up to now? What they’re supposedly asking for, though, is free and fair trade. Yet no-one seems to have noticed the irony in the fact that their real chance to achieve exactly this in just six months’ time is being overshadowed by a campaign to maintain existing trade barriers or erect new ones.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar