Blog: Genesco says yes
Leonie Barrie | 18 September 2007
Was there really any doubt that Genesco shareholders wouldn’t vote in favour of the company’s sale to The Finish Line for $1.5bn? After all, the deal is worth $54.50 in cash per share – and Genesco shares are currently hovering around the $44.40 mark. And making the best return on investment was clearly a major concern since the retailer rejected two earlier takeover bids from Foot Locker for being too low.
Perhaps it’s unfair to compare share prices since these have plunged in recent days on news that Finish Line’s bankers were getting itchy feet around the deal. But this, in turn, was prompted by Genesco’s unexpected second quarter loss of $4.2m or 19 cents per share.
At the end of last month there was still market optimism that the Genesco buyout would take place, but that Finish Line would seek to renegotiate the deal for a lower price if it could prove that a permanent change had happened to Genesco's business. Likewise, UBS could pull out if Genesco's financial health deteriorated substantially. But time is running out for any last-minute manoeuvres given that the transaction is due to close this autumn.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack