Blog: Getting older, feeling younger
Leonie Barrie | 16 January 2006
Having recently passed a milestone birthday – the one where “life begins…” as the saying goes – it’s good to know that despite what the mirror says, I am effectively getting younger. My logic? Well “Fifty is the NEW Thirty-Five” is the title of a marketing conference being held in New York City next week, and I’ll certainly buy into that!
Event organiser AAFA (the American Apparel & Footwear Association) points out that today’s Baby Boomers – and upper income “Zoomers” – have an annual spending power exceeding US$2tn. Just as important is the fact that as consumers, they increasingly care about how they look and how they dress.
Although I’ve got a long while to go before I hit 50, the same sentiment – the need to look and feel great whatever we’re doing – applies to my generation. We’re very different from our parents at the same stage of their lives, and it’s not just consumer-driven in that we spend more money. We’re more complex and aware of our choices (we probably have more choices) and we use this information wisely rather than frivolously. And I think we feel we can make a contribution or even a difference to others and the environment in which we live. And as this is an apparel blog, the natural extension is that this translates to how we shop for clothes.
So any help that’s available for manufacturers and retailers to tune into these new-found sentiments has to be good news.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022