Blog: Good Morning Vietnam?
Leonie Barrie | 2 February 2007
Last year’s decision by the Bush Administration to monitor US imports from Vietnam as the prelude to self-initiating anti-dumping cases against these products looks set to be one of the main issues affecting the global apparel trade in 2007. And just one month into the year the sniping has started.
The US Commerce Department on 11 January began monitoring imports of five broad groups of products made in Vietnam – shirts, trousers, sweaters, underwear and swimwear – even though the United States Association of Importers of textiles and Apparel (USA-ITA) believes the US apparel industry doesn’t seek or support these moves.
USA-ITA also describes the monitoring process as “backwards,” arguing that the Commerce Department should first identify whether there are any US producers of apparel that compete with apparel imports from Vietnam before deciding which products to monitor. It also makes the point that while the threat of anti-dumping hangs over imports from Vietnam, some US retailers will be forced to abandon factories there.
It’s set to be a long drawn out saga, with the first formal review due in July 2007. But if you’re interested in email updates from the Department of Commerce sign up here.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report