Blog: Green snubs Rose
Leonie Barrie | 5 April 2007
For all his successes, from launching Designers at Debenhams to fronting Tesco’s growth as a clothing force to be reckoned with, Terry Green will probably be best remembered for presiding over the collapse of Allders in 2005 with debts of more than GBP300m. So it’s perhaps surprising that his rumoured move to M&S has come to nothing, since it would have proved once and for all that his credibility in retail circles is intact again. Instead, Green has used the discussions to negotiate what is believed to be a big pay rise and a new and more powerful role at Tesco.
Green's rejection is an embarrassing snub to M&S, but also a sign of Tesco's growing power in clothing retail. The saga also raises questions about high-level executive shortfalls at M&S, where CEO Stuart Rose keen to concentrate on strategic issues instead of taking a more hands-on approach to the day-to-day running of the business.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022