Blog: Green snubs Rose
Leonie Barrie | 5 April 2007
For all his successes, from launching Designers at Debenhams to fronting Tesco’s growth as a clothing force to be reckoned with, Terry Green will probably be best remembered for presiding over the collapse of Allders in 2005 with debts of more than GBP300m. So it’s perhaps surprising that his rumoured move to M&S has come to nothing, since it would have proved once and for all that his credibility in retail circles is intact again. Instead, Green has used the discussions to negotiate what is believed to be a big pay rise and a new and more powerful role at Tesco.
Green's rejection is an embarrassing snub to M&S, but also a sign of Tesco's growing power in clothing retail. The saga also raises questions about high-level executive shortfalls at M&S, where CEO Stuart Rose keen to concentrate on strategic issues instead of taking a more hands-on approach to the day-to-day running of the business.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report