Blog: Green snubs Rose
Leonie Barrie | 5 April 2007
For all his successes, from launching Designers at Debenhams to fronting Tesco’s growth as a clothing force to be reckoned with, Terry Green will probably be best remembered for presiding over the collapse of Allders in 2005 with debts of more than GBP300m. So it’s perhaps surprising that his rumoured move to M&S has come to nothing, since it would have proved once and for all that his credibility in retail circles is intact again. Instead, Green has used the discussions to negotiate what is believed to be a big pay rise and a new and more powerful role at Tesco.
Green's rejection is an embarrassing snub to M&S, but also a sign of Tesco's growing power in clothing retail. The saga also raises questions about high-level executive shortfalls at M&S, where CEO Stuart Rose keen to concentrate on strategic issues instead of taking a more hands-on approach to the day-to-day running of the business.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack