Blog: Green snubs Rose
Leonie Barrie | 5 April 2007
For all his successes, from launching Designers at Debenhams to fronting Tesco’s growth as a clothing force to be reckoned with, Terry Green will probably be best remembered for presiding over the collapse of Allders in 2005 with debts of more than GBP300m. So it’s perhaps surprising that his rumoured move to M&S has come to nothing, since it would have proved once and for all that his credibility in retail circles is intact again. Instead, Green has used the discussions to negotiate what is believed to be a big pay rise and a new and more powerful role at Tesco.
Green's rejection is an embarrassing snub to M&S, but also a sign of Tesco's growing power in clothing retail. The saga also raises questions about high-level executive shortfalls at M&S, where CEO Stuart Rose keen to concentrate on strategic issues instead of taking a more hands-on approach to the day-to-day running of the business.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020