Blog: Has UK retail turned a corner?
Leonie Barrie | 30 September 2009
Earlier this week the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) suggested the high street is beginning to stabilise after sales rose unexpectedly in September.
And today, retail bellwether Marks & Spencer noted said its UK like-for-like sales fell by just 0.5% in the second quarter, indicating its sales slowdown is steadying too.
Admittedly the figures benefit from being measured against a very volatile quarter last year, when retailers and consumers were absorbing the full ramifications of the banking crisis.
But Rose, who tends to be supremely cautious when making any forecasts, today noted: “Consumer confidence has reached the bottom. People feel better about life.”
Which doesn’t quite translate into optimism, but is probably as good as we’re going to get.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar