Blog: Has UK retail turned a corner?
Leonie Barrie | 30 September 2009
Earlier this week the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) suggested the high street is beginning to stabilise after sales rose unexpectedly in September.
And today, retail bellwether Marks & Spencer noted said its UK like-for-like sales fell by just 0.5% in the second quarter, indicating its sales slowdown is steadying too.
Admittedly the figures benefit from being measured against a very volatile quarter last year, when retailers and consumers were absorbing the full ramifications of the banking crisis.
But Rose, who tends to be supremely cautious when making any forecasts, today noted: “Consumer confidence has reached the bottom. People feel better about life.”
Which doesn’t quite translate into optimism, but is probably as good as we’re going to get.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- Bangladesh apparel sector faces up to challenges
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Gap working to rebuild and gain market share
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- US Q4 in brief – American Eagle Outfitters
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Adidas unveils "revolutionary" marathon shoe
- Myanmar forms new minimum wage committee
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022