Blog: Here comes summer…
Leonie Barrie | 8 June 2004
I intended to head into the office yesterday, but instead spent a large chunk of the day - one of the UK’s hottest so far - stuck in a seven mile tailback on the motorway. Not a great start to the week. An early morning accident led to the road being shut for about six hours, and I (along with thousands of others) effectively lost half the day – although I did manage to while away the time with a couple of phone calls. Perhaps spurred by the D-Day commemorations over the week-end, a kind of blitz spirit came to the fore with truckers sharing cups of tea, drivers videotaping the queues and joking with complete strangers as they sat in the sunshine waiting for the traffic to start moving again!
Ironically one of the day’s lead stories suggested that the sunshine is also starting to heat up the UK’s economy, with high street sales in May growing at their fastest rate for four months. As seems to be the norm these days, clothing and footwear topped the list of best sellers. It also looks likely that the Bank of England will increase interest rates again in an attempt to stall this growth. But maybe the warm weather will do it for them…previous experience shows that consumers soon tire of shopping during hot weather and choose instead to spend more time in other outdoor activities.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective