Blog: High street or high school?
Joe Ayling | 27 April 2010
As young fashion entrepreneurs go, 17-year-old Kira Plastinina is surely leading the way?
Plastinina, who appeared on last night's Channel Four documentary The World's Richest Teenager and Me is described as Russia's answer to Paris Hilton.
Backed by her father's riches, Plastinina runs her own fashion label - Style Studio - with around 80 stores in the country.
The teenage prodigy designs and models the collection herself, posing the question of when she finds time to be a kid?
However, high school romances, discos and other adolescent shenanigans were kept firmly under corporate wraps during the programme. Investigator Mark Dolan also faces a wall of stifling PR when he brings up the subject of money.
As a viewer last night, the excess PR presence around this potentially fascinating young lady was frustrating, and prevented Dolan getting to know the personality behind the brand.
Other, less guarded, rich teenagers on the show from the US, Dubai and Thailand were allowed to express themselves much more freely.
So Kira, if you're reading or following just-style on Twitter, just let them be yourself.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar