Blog: How low can you go?
Leonie Barrie | 3 July 2007
Last week Hanesbrands revealed its latest round of factory closures and redundancies as it seeks to shore up its global supply chain and save money through economies of scale. Its plans include shuttering nine plants in four countries employing around 5,000 workers – with at least 2,500 jobs going in the Dominican Republic as production shifts to Central America and Thailand.
This last point, though, raises an interesting question on Seeking Alpha about Hanesbrands’ move to cheaper markets. And it doesn’t just apply to Hanesbrands of course; it’s something we hear about on an ongoing basis.
“What are we to make of any company that finds the Dominican Republic labour market too expensive? According to the CIA, the GDP per capita is about $8,400 in that country. And seeing as the company seems set on jumping on whatever country has the lowest labour costs, how long can we expect it to stay in the countries that it's going to? How long before the next round of labour cuts (and attendant "one-time" charges)?”
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Oxford Industries, Genesco
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Taiwan textile maker investing in first US plant
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs