Blog: I wouldn't wear an England shirt today if you paid me
Joe Ayling | 22 November 2007
The words "England football kit" will have been scribbled out on numerous Christmas lists after the country's football team pathetically squandered their chances last night.
Having lost 3-2 to Croatia, the team has failed to qualify for Euro 2008 this summer, being edged out by Russia.
In what is just one of many financial repercussions for the nation, sportswear firms Umbro, Sports Direct and JJB Sports all saw their shares tumble as a result.
Kit manufacturer Umbro, a takeover target for Nike, admitted that sales of replica jerseys would suffer this year and next.
While Umbro still has a presence at the tournament sponsoring Sweden, the quintessentially English brand will be, in football terminology, "gutted" its gamble has not paid off.
Furthermore, if Nike succeeds with its GBP285m (US$582m) acquisition offer for Umbro, it will have been a telling twist of fate that England's slayers Croatia and Russia both play with a tick and not a diamond on their chests.
Joe Ayling, News Editor.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective