Blog: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Leonie Barrie | 10 July 2003
Some companies might be flattered that their brands are in such high demand – after all, millions of pounds are spent each year trying to build globally recognised names. But not Levi’s. It has registered the tab under trademark laws and is the only company that can use a tab on the back pocket of its jeans.
Adidas might be interested in a few tips on how to cross the fine line between trademarks and similar signs. A ruling yesterday in the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg dismissed its legal action to stop Dutch-based Fitnessworld Trading Ltd using a two-stripe logo – deemed unerringly similar to Adidas’ three-stripes – on its sportswear. Advocate General Francis Jacobs said trademark owners could not stop others using signs that are similar to their trademarks, provided they were used as decoration.
What this says about their customers is anyone’s guess. When threatened with legal action from Levi’s because its grey, branded tab label might create "customer confusion" with Levi’s own red tab, small Welsh clothing maker Howies pointed out that that consumers “would have to be colour blind and illiterate" to confuse the two logos.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022