Blog: Interest rate redemption
Leonie Barrie | 19 June 2007
Rising interest rates are bad news for homeowners – but they could be a lifesaver for the UK clothing industry. At least according to commercial analyst Plimsoll Publishing, which describes rising rates are “a useful wake-up call” for companies who are in debt. Its research shows more than a quarter of UK clothing manufacturers are in more debt than they have been at any time in their history, enticed by low interest rates and the lure of easy debt secured on rapidly rising property prices. And this has enabled them to cover up flaws in their business strategies.
Apparently, though, there is just enough time left for these firms to look seriously at their balance sheets and change direction – and if companies reduce their level of debt and streamline their business models, they may have a future, believes Plimsoll. But if they ignore the alarm call they risk sleepwalking into danger.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022