Blog: Istanbul Declaration...what's it all about?
Leonie Barrie | 10 June 2004
I've just been having a chat with a couple of contributors about the Istanbul Declaration where 81 trade associations from 43 different countries are trying to get an extension to the quota phase-out deadline. The whole issue has to be more complicated than it appears: so does anyone have any idea what these people are really trying to do?
There isn't a hope in hell the EU or US will agree. And even if they did, they couldn't get the WTO to agree, as that requires unanimity (and we can be pretty clear which way the world's two largest countries would vote). So they'd have to break a treaty - which is illegal under most circumstances. And the Chinese would make life impossible for them in a gazillion different ways. They must know this. So what's the point?
There has to be some complicated shadow-boxing to do with getting lots of US candidates committed to protectionism so that there'll be more political support for anti-dumping cases next year. Or are we missing something?
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack