Blog: Istanbul Declaration...what's it all about?
Leonie Barrie | 10 June 2004
I've just been having a chat with a couple of contributors about the Istanbul Declaration where 81 trade associations from 43 different countries are trying to get an extension to the quota phase-out deadline. The whole issue has to be more complicated than it appears: so does anyone have any idea what these people are really trying to do?
There isn't a hope in hell the EU or US will agree. And even if they did, they couldn't get the WTO to agree, as that requires unanimity (and we can be pretty clear which way the world's two largest countries would vote). So they'd have to break a treaty - which is illegal under most circumstances. And the Chinese would make life impossible for them in a gazillion different ways. They must know this. So what's the point?
There has to be some complicated shadow-boxing to do with getting lots of US candidates committed to protectionism so that there'll be more political support for anti-dumping cases next year. Or are we missing something?
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar