Blog: Istanbul Declaration...what's it all about?
Leonie Barrie | 10 June 2004
I've just been having a chat with a couple of contributors about the Istanbul Declaration where 81 trade associations from 43 different countries are trying to get an extension to the quota phase-out deadline. The whole issue has to be more complicated than it appears: so does anyone have any idea what these people are really trying to do?
There isn't a hope in hell the EU or US will agree. And even if they did, they couldn't get the WTO to agree, as that requires unanimity (and we can be pretty clear which way the world's two largest countries would vote). So they'd have to break a treaty - which is illegal under most circumstances. And the Chinese would make life impossible for them in a gazillion different ways. They must know this. So what's the point?
There has to be some complicated shadow-boxing to do with getting lots of US candidates committed to protectionism so that there'll be more political support for anti-dumping cases next year. Or are we missing something?
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar