Blog: Istanbul Fashion Apparel Conference – Day One
Joe Ayling | 5 May 2011
It has been a busy day in Turkey's capital for the opening of the Istanbul Fashion Apparel Conference.
Any doubts about the importance of the country's apparel industry were dispelled by an appearance by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who opened today's proceedings.
Erdogan made a grand entrance to the auditorium surrounded by a mass security entourage and was quickly swamped by paparazzi.
With just 37 days until the Turkish elections, his speech went beyond the nuts and bolts of the textile industry – also addressing addressing education, debt and rising inflation.
It emerged that Turkey is setting a $500bn export target by 2013, with $60bn to come from clothing alone – up from $15bn a year currently.
The vast majority of Turkey's garment exports are to EU markets, where it enjoys preferential access, but a booming domestic retail market also carries potential for suppliers.
Following on from the PM was the co-CEO of Itlalian luxury brand Loro Piana. Pier Luigi Loro Piana said Turkish brands should focus on the value added by local manufacturing to grow, rather than entering any race to the bottom.
In between sessions we've had enough Turkish tea and baklava to sink a ship, more than taking the edge off the continued dull weather here in Istanbul.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack