Blog: It looks real, 'fur' goodness sake
Joe Ayling | 11 December 2007
My judgement of what is genuine was put to the test at the weekend when I attended The Clothes Show Live in Birmingham.
Animal rights group The RSPCA tested visitors on their ability to distinguish between displayed real and fake items, including perfume, watches, look-alike celebrities, and most significantly - fur. The charity was dedicating its large stand there towards a newly-launched campaign against real fur, called 100% Fake.
So how did I score? Well of the 18 items on display behind glass cabinets, I guessed 12 correctly. These included a fur coat and handbag, which were faux fur, pictures of Tom Cruise and Angelina Jolie and a £50 note. There was also a picture of a fake pair of the female anatomy that I won't dwell on, which I guessed right.
Among items on display that baffled me, however, were a genuine D&G belt, Gucci bag and Stella McCartney perfume. My girlfriend was fast and enthusiastic to point out they were all real though, meaning it could be an expensive Christmas.
The RSPCA hit the headlines on just-style last week, when it accused two leading UK retailers of wrongly labelling goods containing fur (see below), and is concerned that consumers are often unaware they are buying real fur.
There are two days left at The Clothes Show, and exhibitors will be revving up for one last push.
I enjoyed my visit to the annual event, and it was also interesting to see a zone dedicated solely to ethical fashion there this year. This signals the growing consumer interest in the UK's thriving bamboo and hemp-based industries.
By Joe Ayling, news editor.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack