Blog: January sales rise just a “blip”?
Leonie Barrie | 10 February 2009
Even though January saw the best performance from UK retailers since last May, we’ve been warned not to get our hopes up and that the sales rise could be “just a blip”.
Helen Dickinson, head of retail, KPMG, says that despite bucking seven months of declines in like-for-like sales, the figures don’t mean consumer confidence has returned.
“The results are heavily skewed by food prices creeping back up again after the heavy promotional activity in December,” she says “and by a reasonably strong performance in the first week of the month, caused by the continuation of a short-lived pick up in spending immediately after Christmas which ended by the second week.”
Non-food sales including clothing and footwear fell by 1.6% last month, but this was slower than the 7.9% drop seen in December. Again, though, the British Retail Consortium, which compiled the data, suggests this is not such a ray of hope after all, and that cash-strapped shoppers simply took advantage of the clearance sales.
“The divergence...between those that are doing well and those that are not, continues to grow, meaning the outlook for many retailers, and the industry as a whole, remains challenging,” Dickinson adds.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar