Blog: Jean genius
Leonie Barrie | 23 December 2003
I was so intrigued by news that Tesco was selling jeans for the bargain basement sum of £4 that I went and bought a pair. And mighty fine they are too. OK they don’t have the styling or cachet of labels like Earl Jeans or Paper, Denim and Cloth, but at that price you don’t expect them to. And with weekly sales standing at around 30,000 pairs, a lot of shoppers seem to agree.
Tesco’s renewed focus on its clothing offer is creating a bit of a stir, and an article in The Daily Telegraph sheds some light on how it’s achieving its goals. Other retailers should sit up and take note of this statement from Richard Brasher, who heads the company’s non-food business: “Our fundamental philosophy is how little can we sell a product for, not how much can we sell it for. The principle is that we want to sell for less.”
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report