Blog: Jeans that make you slimmer?
Leonie Barrie | 10 June 2004
The idea that special jeans and trousers can help smooth away cellulite is as believable as, er, that strawberry flavour yoghurt actually contains strawberries. It’s a great marketing ploy, but whether clothing can actually help make you slimmer is open to debate – as Miss Sixty has been finding out. Its anti-cellulite jeans are encapsulated with a Retinol-based serum called Skintex (similar to many of the body lotions formulated to reduce cellulite) which is delivered through friction between fabric and skin and will remain active for up to 40 washes. But they’ve been slated by experts for their exaggerated claims.
Like most things, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! That hasn’t stopped hosiery makers Hanes, L'Eggs and Donna Karan selling what they claim to be cellulite-beating lines. But a look at the small print shows where the real interest lies: the tights need to be worn five days a week for a minimum of eight weeks and even then might only reduce the appearance of cellulite, not eliminate it. There’s only one sure-fire way to tackle cellulite and that’s through diet and exercise – and even then it’s a hard slog to make a difference. Perhaps the only thing in favour of Miss Sixty’s jeans is the fact that they need to be hand washed – and activity that will at least burn up a few calories. Despite positive sales but negative publicity, Miss Sixty says it will not be reissuing the jeans line next season.
Fashion retailer H&M and UK based glove and leather manufacturer Pittards both say they are monitoring the situation in Ethiopia closely after the country's government declared a state of emergency af...
Increasing competition for garment sourcing contracts is seeing China not only being challenged by other countries in Asia, but by sub-Saharan African and even Russian suppliers too. And it is pushing...
The monthly minimum wage for workers in Cambodia's textile, garment and footwear sector is set to rise to $153 from January next year, following a vote on the issue last week. The increase marks a ris...
The results of two highly-anticipated initiatives in the sportswear sphere were revealed last week: the launch of Under Armour’s new UAS lifestyle brand and the first pair of running shoes created at ...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- US Q3 in brief - Rocky Brands, Gymboree Corp
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Hong Kong's Winds Group to open Haiti factory
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022