Blog: Jones gets upscale break
Leonie Barrie | 13 June 2008
The market seemed to like yesterday’s news that Jones Apparel Group Inc has formed a joint venture to develop the Rachel Roy Fashion Brand. Shares rose as the apparel maker said it had finally found a long-awaited entry into the high-end contemporary market.
Upscale lines seems to be the way forward – also this week we saw VF Corp buy into Mo Industries, owner of the Splendid and Ella Moss women’s sportswear brands to complement its fast-growing 7 For All Mankind and Lucy brands.
And the deal means that Jones now has another string to its bow alongside stalwarts such as its Nine West shoes and Gloria Vanderbilt lines. Crucially, though, the new brand extend its reach to growing consumer segments, broaden its presence in healthy and growing retail channels, and of course offers opportunities to expand through global store expansion and new product launches like fragrance, footwear and accessories.
It’s all part of the continuing dynamic to latch on to new opportunities, driven by demand from specialty and department stores for exclusive brands. Jones’ previous foray into the high-end market has been with its Barneys New York retail unit, which it sold to Dubai-based investment firm for $942.3m last summer.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022