Blog: Jones gets upscale break
Leonie Barrie | 13 June 2008
The market seemed to like yesterday’s news that Jones Apparel Group Inc has formed a joint venture to develop the Rachel Roy Fashion Brand. Shares rose as the apparel maker said it had finally found a long-awaited entry into the high-end contemporary market.
Upscale lines seems to be the way forward – also this week we saw VF Corp buy into Mo Industries, owner of the Splendid and Ella Moss women’s sportswear brands to complement its fast-growing 7 For All Mankind and Lucy brands.
And the deal means that Jones now has another string to its bow alongside stalwarts such as its Nine West shoes and Gloria Vanderbilt lines. Crucially, though, the new brand extend its reach to growing consumer segments, broaden its presence in healthy and growing retail channels, and of course offers opportunities to expand through global store expansion and new product launches like fragrance, footwear and accessories.
It’s all part of the continuing dynamic to latch on to new opportunities, driven by demand from specialty and department stores for exclusive brands. Jones’ previous foray into the high-end market has been with its Barneys New York retail unit, which it sold to Dubai-based investment firm for $942.3m last summer.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack