Blog: Kiwi clothing scam
Leonie Barrie | 26 February 2007
Kiwi athletes at last year's Commonwealth Games were inadvertently caught in a clothing scam after the company that made their uniforms admitted replacing ‘Made in China’ labels with those saying ‘Made in New Zealand’. The owner of Sports Resources Ltd, which contracted to Adidas for the 2006 games uniforms, this month pleaded guilty to charges brought by the Commerce Commission. According to the Sunday Star Times, eight out of the 12 Commonwealth Games garments were affected by the label switch.
Adidas apparently had no idea of any problems with the uniforms until a Commerce Commission raid on Christmas Eve. Sport Resources is still producing clothing lines for Adidas but all contractors had been told Adidas would not support or condone incorrect labelling of products. Well, that’s them told then.
But of course it’s not that easy is it? Another 30 clothing importers, retailers and manufacturers in New Zealand are said to be under warnings from the Commerce Commission over labelling issues.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022