Blog: Lack of support
Leonie Barrie | 3 September 2004
In a sample of 75 high-street bra-fitting services tested out across the UK, 59 recommended poorly fitting bras – including a 'push 'em up, stick 'em out' style moulded bra for a woman in her 80s! Bulging cups, loose underbands, cups that were too small, wires that were the wrong shape and wrong back sizes were all overlooked says survey organiser Which?
Bra-fitting services assume that each woman is one particular bra size, when in reality the size that fits best will vary according to style, manufacturer and fabric. To add to the confusion, the formulas vary from one shop to another. It’s the same with fashion, where retailers work to out-of-date size charts that rarely correlate from one store to another.
Hopefully this will change soon, with publication of results from the first UK National Sizing Survey to be carried out since the 1950s. Data shows that the average British woman’s waistline has increased by more than 6 inches since 1952, while hip and chest measurements have grown by about 1½ inches. The project should give retailers a clearer idea of what their customers look like and could lead to a change in sizing methods in an attempt to create better fitting clothes. It could also prove invaluable for the many overseas manufacturers who supply this market. Provided they all act of the information of course.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar