Blog: Lack of support
Leonie Barrie | 3 September 2004
In a sample of 75 high-street bra-fitting services tested out across the UK, 59 recommended poorly fitting bras – including a 'push 'em up, stick 'em out' style moulded bra for a woman in her 80s! Bulging cups, loose underbands, cups that were too small, wires that were the wrong shape and wrong back sizes were all overlooked says survey organiser Which?
Bra-fitting services assume that each woman is one particular bra size, when in reality the size that fits best will vary according to style, manufacturer and fabric. To add to the confusion, the formulas vary from one shop to another. It’s the same with fashion, where retailers work to out-of-date size charts that rarely correlate from one store to another.
Hopefully this will change soon, with publication of results from the first UK National Sizing Survey to be carried out since the 1950s. Data shows that the average British woman’s waistline has increased by more than 6 inches since 1952, while hip and chest measurements have grown by about 1½ inches. The project should give retailers a clearer idea of what their customers look like and could lead to a change in sizing methods in an attempt to create better fitting clothes. It could also prove invaluable for the many overseas manufacturers who supply this market. Provided they all act of the information of course.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack