Blog: Laura Ashley stores fetch 2 euros
Leonie Barrie | 2 September 2003
The change in strategy says a lot about the volatility being experienced in retailing right now. The store group, which reported a full-year loss of £14.1 million in the year to January 2003, has been fighting a losing battle against economic downturn, poorly targeted products, low sales, high running costs and a dearth of tourist traffic.
Offloading its European business is widely seen as a positive move – but means the pressure will now revert to Laura Ashley’s 206-store UK business and, in particular, the poorly performing clothing division. This would be a challenge at the best of times, but all eyes will now be on the firm’s two chief executives – appointed by parent Malayan United Industries – who have already been criticised for their lack of experience in running a UK fashion retailer.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022