Blog: Low riders and law breakers
Leonie Barrie | 27 April 2004
As if the war in Iraq and other pressing issues such as the state of the economy, health care and education weren’t enough to worry about, a New Orleans lawmaker wants to make it a criminal offence to display boxer shorts and skimpy G-strings in public. Derrick Shepherd, who represents the state of Louisiana, is trying to introduce a bill to ban people who wear trousers “exposing skin or intimate clothing” – punishing offenders with a $500 fine or up to six months in jail.
The mind boggles at the thought of prison cells across the country bursting at the seams with people who'd be found breaking this law. Just how serious Rep Shepherd is remains to be seen, although he’s certainly made a splash in his rookie legislative session. The low-slung look might not be attractive, but it's a style statement and a personal decision - and not one that needs to be monitored by the fashion police.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack