Blog: Low riders and law breakers
Leonie Barrie | 27 April 2004
As if the war in Iraq and other pressing issues such as the state of the economy, health care and education weren’t enough to worry about, a New Orleans lawmaker wants to make it a criminal offence to display boxer shorts and skimpy G-strings in public. Derrick Shepherd, who represents the state of Louisiana, is trying to introduce a bill to ban people who wear trousers “exposing skin or intimate clothing” – punishing offenders with a $500 fine or up to six months in jail.
The mind boggles at the thought of prison cells across the country bursting at the seams with people who'd be found breaking this law. Just how serious Rep Shepherd is remains to be seen, although he’s certainly made a splash in his rookie legislative session. The low-slung look might not be attractive, but it's a style statement and a personal decision - and not one that needs to be monitored by the fashion police.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar