Blog: Low riders and law breakers
Leonie Barrie | 27 April 2004
As if the war in Iraq and other pressing issues such as the state of the economy, health care and education weren’t enough to worry about, a New Orleans lawmaker wants to make it a criminal offence to display boxer shorts and skimpy G-strings in public. Derrick Shepherd, who represents the state of Louisiana, is trying to introduce a bill to ban people who wear trousers “exposing skin or intimate clothing” – punishing offenders with a $500 fine or up to six months in jail.
The mind boggles at the thought of prison cells across the country bursting at the seams with people who'd be found breaking this law. Just how serious Rep Shepherd is remains to be seen, although he’s certainly made a splash in his rookie legislative session. The low-slung look might not be attractive, but it's a style statement and a personal decision - and not one that needs to be monitored by the fashion police.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts