Blog: Lululemon's light-hearted 'CEO wanted' ad
Leonie Barrie | 19 June 2013
Lululemon's joke job posting
Can you communicate in Sanskrit, hold a headstand for at least 10 minutes, break all the rules, down wheatgrass and tequila shots on a Friday, and have Chip Wilson, Bill Clinton, Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah Winfrey on speed dial? Then Lululemon Athletica could be looking for you.
Hot on the heels of its decision last week to part with CEO Christine Day once a replacement is found, the retailer seems to be leaving no stone unturned in its efforts to find a successor.
Its quirky way of addressing the situation was to post "CEO wanted" ads in its stores, on its Facebook page and online.
"You report to no one, you are the CEO (duh)," the ad said, adding: "You are passionate about doing chief executive officer type stuff like making decisions, having a vision and being the head boss person.
"You're a long-term thinker," it continues. "You already have a plan to bring yoga and Luon to Mars by 2018."
No-one could blame the company for trying to raise a smile after a rocky couple of months following the recall of its popular Luon yoga pants after the fabric was found to be see-through - which in turn led to a US$17.5m write-off and a $67m revenue shortfall.
And perhaps the best part of the joke is that more than 160 applications have been received - including some from serious contenders.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report