Blog: Macy's on the mend?
Leonie Barrie | 16 May 2008
On top of all the general economic worries it’s facing in line with the rest of its competitors, Macy’s Inc has another challenge on its hands: trying to lure back customers alienated by an ill-fated plan to integrate the May Department Stores chain it acquired in 2005.
While now may not be the best time to be trying to engineer a turnaround, Macy’s seems to be faring slightly better than its department store rivals. Or is it?
The retailer might have posted a US$59m loss in the first quarter, but its results were better-than-expected, same-store sales were up, the company appears to be capturing market share, and it even reaffirmed full-year guidance.
But some still believe the restructuring isn’t all it's cracked up to be. The ‘My Macy’s’ campaign to tailor merchandise to reflect the demands of local markets in the US is widely seen as the right way forward, but does the retailer have the ability to deliver on its promise? Are being big and unique at the same time a contradiction in terms? And does the organisation really have the capability to realise the benefits?
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- M&S clothing growth – What the analysts say
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Target leads funding for mobile quality inspection
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar