Blog: Macy's on the mend?
Leonie Barrie | 16 May 2008
On top of all the general economic worries it’s facing in line with the rest of its competitors, Macy’s Inc has another challenge on its hands: trying to lure back customers alienated by an ill-fated plan to integrate the May Department Stores chain it acquired in 2005.
While now may not be the best time to be trying to engineer a turnaround, Macy’s seems to be faring slightly better than its department store rivals. Or is it?
The retailer might have posted a US$59m loss in the first quarter, but its results were better-than-expected, same-store sales were up, the company appears to be capturing market share, and it even reaffirmed full-year guidance.
But some still believe the restructuring isn’t all it's cracked up to be. The ‘My Macy’s’ campaign to tailor merchandise to reflect the demands of local markets in the US is widely seen as the right way forward, but does the retailer have the ability to deliver on its promise? Are being big and unique at the same time a contradiction in terms? And does the organisation really have the capability to realise the benefits?
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- How to ensure sustainability is more than a slogan
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Tailored Brands, Genesco
- Taiwan textile maker investing in first US plant
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- Outdoor apparel sector set for double-digit growth