Blog: Marks loses its sparkle
Leonie Barrie | 22 December 2003
Retailers seem to be losing the game of cat and mouse that has broken out on the UK’s high streets. The drip of sales tags and special offers that I noticed at the beginning of the month had turned into a flood by Friday as retailers lose their nerve in the pre-Christmas shopping stakes.
While some analysts are forecasting a last-minute dash to the stores – this year, Christmas Day falls on a Thursday so a shopping frenzy is finally expected to break out this week – for others it could already be too late.
Women's fashion and partywear have proved spectacular turn-offs for festive shoppers, and media reports over the week-end suggest that this area is proving particularly problematic for Marks & Spencer, with sales currently running at 10 per cent below last year’s levels.
Although it’s likely we won't know the full picture until Christmas Eve, M&S needs to take drastic action to achieve a turnaround of its core fashion business. An executive search for a new head of its clothing business is already underway, and although several high profile names have been mentioned nothing concrete has yet materialised. Is it too much to speculate that the role might be starting to turn into a poisoned chalice?
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Mexico makers bullish on Trump's proposed tariffs
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Crystal expands empowerment project to male staff
- Throwaway fast fashion model needs re-think
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack