Blog: Marks loses its sparkle
Leonie Barrie | 22 December 2003
Retailers seem to be losing the game of cat and mouse that has broken out on the UK’s high streets. The drip of sales tags and special offers that I noticed at the beginning of the month had turned into a flood by Friday as retailers lose their nerve in the pre-Christmas shopping stakes.
While some analysts are forecasting a last-minute dash to the stores – this year, Christmas Day falls on a Thursday so a shopping frenzy is finally expected to break out this week – for others it could already be too late.
Women's fashion and partywear have proved spectacular turn-offs for festive shoppers, and media reports over the week-end suggest that this area is proving particularly problematic for Marks & Spencer, with sales currently running at 10 per cent below last year’s levels.
Although it’s likely we won't know the full picture until Christmas Eve, M&S needs to take drastic action to achieve a turnaround of its core fashion business. An executive search for a new head of its clothing business is already underway, and although several high profile names have been mentioned nothing concrete has yet materialised. Is it too much to speculate that the role might be starting to turn into a poisoned chalice?
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report