Blog: Martha’s Midas touch
Leonie Barrie | 22 March 2005
It would seem that Martha Stuart really has the Midas touch – and that her recent spell in prison could be one of the best career moves she’s ever made. In the two weeks since she left prison wearing a poncho crocheted for her by a fellow inmate, 250,000 people have downloaded a similar pattern from Lion Brand Yarn, which Stewart identified on her Web site as the source of the raw materials. Other designers have jumped on the bandwagon too: Maggie Weldon of Maggie's Crochet, for instance, a “Martha Coming Home Poncho pattern closely matching the poncho Martha wore.”
Why the fuss over one poncho? Over the past few years the public's enthusiasm for crocheting and knitting has risen drastically, and what used to be a small market niche has exploded into a huge phenomenon. According to a 2004 study by the Craft Yarn Council of America, one in three US women knows how to crochet or knit - a 51% increase in the last 10 years. Martha's announcement that her poncho was made by a fellow inmate added fuel to the flame – crochet is hot!
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Investment continues in Ethiopia clothing sector
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- US Q1 in brief – Steve Madden, Skechers
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts