Blog: Martha’s Midas touch
Leonie Barrie | 22 March 2005
It would seem that Martha Stuart really has the Midas touch – and that her recent spell in prison could be one of the best career moves she’s ever made. In the two weeks since she left prison wearing a poncho crocheted for her by a fellow inmate, 250,000 people have downloaded a similar pattern from Lion Brand Yarn, which Stewart identified on her Web site as the source of the raw materials. Other designers have jumped on the bandwagon too: Maggie Weldon of Maggie's Crochet, for instance, a “Martha Coming Home Poncho pattern closely matching the poncho Martha wore.”
Why the fuss over one poncho? Over the past few years the public's enthusiasm for crocheting and knitting has risen drastically, and what used to be a small market niche has exploded into a huge phenomenon. According to a 2004 study by the Craft Yarn Council of America, one in three US women knows how to crochet or knit - a 51% increase in the last 10 years. Martha's announcement that her poncho was made by a fellow inmate added fuel to the flame – crochet is hot!
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Bagir CEO says suit-maker is back on track
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Fruit of the Loom CEO Medlin dies suddenly
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack