Blog: Matalan turns on the charm
Joe Ayling | 8 February 2011
UK retailer Matalan has hired a language consultancy to reinvent how it talks to its customers - just don't go looking for the fitting rooms.
Consultancy The Writer has suggested a series of changes to Matalan's point-of-sale materials, including marketing campaigns.
Changes to the brand's tone of voice include the phrase "last chance to buy" becoming "get me before I'm gone", and "thank you for shopping at Matalan" changing to a less formal "thanks, see you again".
Neil Taylor, creative director of The Writer, says: "Most fashion brands are so busy thinking about their looks, they forget about their words. Not Matalan."
The direct approach has a track record, with Nike telling its shoppers to 'just do it' for years.
Matalan's new tone is certainly quirky too, although replacing "fitting room" with "try it on" can surely only lead to confusion.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report