Blog: Matalan turns on the charm
Joe Ayling | 8 February 2011
UK retailer Matalan has hired a language consultancy to reinvent how it talks to its customers - just don't go looking for the fitting rooms.
Consultancy The Writer has suggested a series of changes to Matalan's point-of-sale materials, including marketing campaigns.
Changes to the brand's tone of voice include the phrase "last chance to buy" becoming "get me before I'm gone", and "thank you for shopping at Matalan" changing to a less formal "thanks, see you again".
Neil Taylor, creative director of The Writer, says: "Most fashion brands are so busy thinking about their looks, they forget about their words. Not Matalan."
The direct approach has a track record, with Nike telling its shoppers to 'just do it' for years.
Matalan's new tone is certainly quirky too, although replacing "fitting room" with "try it on" can surely only lead to confusion.
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- 3D CAD comes of age
- Li & Fung eyes speed, innovation & digitalisation
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Labour rights risk Bangladesh EU trade benefits?
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Hirdaramani to head WFSGI manufacturers committee
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack