Blog: Mervyns’ future looks bleak
Leonie Barrie | 30 July 2008
Mervyn's is the latest US retailer to join an ever-lengthening list of companies who have filed for bankruptcy this year. Steve & Barry's, Shoe Pavilion and Goody’s are just three that have succumbed in recent months.
The department store chain says it has a US$465m debtor-in-possession funding, and intends to remain open during the bankruptcy process. But a long-term turnaround plan put into place earlier this year, and which included a focus on markdowns and promotions, has clearly proved to be less then effective in recent months as the retail market has slowed.
It’s future, and that of other mid-tier retailers, depends on whether or not it can find another way to draw back consumers who are currently seeking bigger bargains at discount stores.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Kohl's, L Brands
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022