Blog: Mervyns’ future looks bleak
Leonie Barrie | 30 July 2008
Mervyn's is the latest US retailer to join an ever-lengthening list of companies who have filed for bankruptcy this year. Steve & Barry's, Shoe Pavilion and Goody’s are just three that have succumbed in recent months.
The department store chain says it has a US$465m debtor-in-possession funding, and intends to remain open during the bankruptcy process. But a long-term turnaround plan put into place earlier this year, and which included a focus on markdowns and promotions, has clearly proved to be less then effective in recent months as the retail market has slowed.
It’s future, and that of other mid-tier retailers, depends on whether or not it can find another way to draw back consumers who are currently seeking bigger bargains at discount stores.
Some of just-style’s more eagle-eyed readers might have noticed a small change to the menu bar on the homepage: the addition of the word re:source. Yes it might be a small change – but it marks the co...
Over the past week just-style has continued to try to unravel the potential ramifications of Donald Trump’s election as the next president of the United States....
One event dominated the international airwaves last week, and on just-style too we took a closer look at the surprise election of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States....
As the Brexit roller-coaster continues to twist and turn, and the US presidential election campaign nears its unpredictable and possibly protectionist end, there's no doubt these events – and the perc...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Trump trade policy – Who knows what he'll do?
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- How would end of NAFTA affect US apparel industry?
- US Q3 in brief - G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Bagir exports first trousers for H&M from Ethiopia
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack