Blog: More money than sense?
Leonie Barrie | 2 July 2010
R.Jewels Diamond Edition suit
I can think of plenty of things I'd buy if I had around GBP600,000 to spare, but I'm pretty certain a suit wouldn't be one of them. Tailor Richard Jewels obviously thinks differently, and is clearly banking on demand for what must surely be the world's most expensive suit.
With an eye-watering GBP599,000 (US$910,000) price tag the cashmere, wool and silk two-piece took 600 man hours to create - that's GBP1000 an hour - and has been embellished by jeweller Stuart Hughes with 480 diamonds. Only three are being made.
"I hope to establish a luxury brand that will not only capture the eyes but the hearts of the consumers," Jewels said. He's promising unrivalled customer service and all-expenses paid trips to luxury destinations such as the Arc en Ciel in St Lucia as part of the package. But if you've got that sort of money to spend on a suit I'd have thought you'd already have your own Caribbean island by now.
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Primark challenges critics with cotton initiative
- Li & Fung dropped from Hang Seng Index
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- Vietnam apparel exports miss 2016 target
- Trump talks of tweaking NAFTA trade with Canada
- H&M leads Better Cotton league
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022