Blog: Moss Bros bid abandoned
Leonie Barrie | 27 May 2008
Whatever Laura Ashley’s motives in building up its stake in Moss Bros, it has certainly managed to scupper Baugur’s proposed takeover of the struggling suit retailer. The Icelandic investment group today pulled out of the GBP40m deal, blaming its decision on “significant changes” to the composition of the company's share register.
While Baugur has been carrying out its due diligence and arranging funding since making its bid back in February, home and fashion retailer Laura Ashley has quietly doubled its shareholding in Moss Bros to around 9.79%.
But Laura Ashley continues to insist it merely sees this as an investment opportunity, even though it bought shares priced above Baugur’s GBP0.42 per share offer and would certainly benefit from adding men’s wear to its product line-up.
Moss Bros’ founding families were always vehemently opposed to Baugur’s bid, but I wonder how they’re feeling now? Share prices fell 13.2% to 39.5 pence in early morning trading today.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022