Blog: Mud-slinging at Matalan
Leonie Barrie | 5 July 2006
There’s been a lot of talk in recent years of mid-market retailers being squeezed by discounters at one end and upmarket brands at the other, but as those in the middle – like M&S – have got their acts together, so the competition at the bottom of the market has become considerably tougher. Just look at the saga of Matalan, which was once worth more than GBP3bn but is now struggling to keep up with the likes of Tesco and Primark and is currently embroiled in a boardroom battle with its founder. There’s not much to report yet from today’s annual meeting, but as long as John Hargreaves continues to dominate the headlines by either trying to sell his remaining stake in the company – or buy it back – then it looks like there are plenty more twists to come in this particular saga.
Confirmation that digital supply chains are top of mind for apparel industry executives came last week with the latest plans from global sourcing specialist Li & Fung....
As a barometer of the issues top of mind for apparel sourcing executives, it is hard to beat the annual Prime Source Forum in Hong Kong. ...
Over the past month, Donald Trump and his team failed to offer any clear plan to ensure Americans would "Buy American, Hire American" - while the British government's attempts to clarify the specifics...
The Bangladesh government was forced to respond late last week to pressure over its crackdown on labour activists after a number of global brands and retailers, including H&M and Inditex announced pla...
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar