Blog: Mud-slinging at Matalan
Leonie Barrie | 5 July 2006
There’s been a lot of talk in recent years of mid-market retailers being squeezed by discounters at one end and upmarket brands at the other, but as those in the middle – like M&S – have got their acts together, so the competition at the bottom of the market has become considerably tougher. Just look at the saga of Matalan, which was once worth more than GBP3bn but is now struggling to keep up with the likes of Tesco and Primark and is currently embroiled in a boardroom battle with its founder. There’s not much to report yet from today’s annual meeting, but as long as John Hargreaves continues to dominate the headlines by either trying to sell his remaining stake in the company – or buy it back – then it looks like there are plenty more twists to come in this particular saga.
Fresh from their disappointment at seeing the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) free trade deal abandoned last month with an executive order by President Donald Trump, the US apparel and footwear sector...
With the ultimate aim of ensuring all the cotton in its products is sourced sustainably, value clothing retailer Primark is adamant that having a business model focused on offering the lowest prices o...
Last week we marked the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th president of the United States by taking a closer look at what's at stake for the textile and apparel trade – especially his promises t...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
- Bangladesh apparel sector faces up to challenges
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Gap working to rebuild and gain market share
- Wage abuses can’t be eliminated by software and PR
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- US Q4 in brief – American Eagle Outfitters
- JC Penney to close 140 stores amid lower sales
- Bangladesh government steps in on labour crackdown
- Adidas unveils "revolutionary" marathon shoe
- Myanmar forms new minimum wage committee
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022