Blog: Mud-slinging at Matalan
Leonie Barrie | 5 July 2006
There’s been a lot of talk in recent years of mid-market retailers being squeezed by discounters at one end and upmarket brands at the other, but as those in the middle – like M&S – have got their acts together, so the competition at the bottom of the market has become considerably tougher. Just look at the saga of Matalan, which was once worth more than GBP3bn but is now struggling to keep up with the likes of Tesco and Primark and is currently embroiled in a boardroom battle with its founder. There’s not much to report yet from today’s annual meeting, but as long as John Hargreaves continues to dominate the headlines by either trying to sell his remaining stake in the company – or buy it back – then it looks like there are plenty more twists to come in this particular saga.
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
Apparel sourcing is a complex process built on a mix of location, logistics, lead-time, price, compliance, risk and reliability. And it's in a constant state of flux as retailers, brands and manufactu...
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- New project to digitalise European fashion chains
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022