Blog: Nanotechnology’s huge potential
Leonie Barrie | 17 May 2006
Nanotechnologies are increasingly commonplace in the textile industry, but did you know that this market is already worth US$11bn and is set to grow by a factor of ten by 2012? In fact, the textile industry is poised to be the first sector to experience a major impact from nanotechnologies a new report from Cientifica says. ‘Nanotechnologies for the Textiles Market’ calculates the market for textiles making use of nanotechnologies will be worth US$13.6bn by 2007, expanding to US$115bn in six years’ time. Furthermore, the value of nanomaterials supplied to the textile industry will reach US$8.6bn by 2012.
In terms of end-use, nanotechnologies will see the highest growth in non-traditional sectors which include sports/outdoor textiles and technical textiles – although fabrics for clothing textiles will still make up the largest share of the total textile market the researchers believe. So it seems that the backlash against the use of nanoparticles in other industries such as cosmetics is unlikely to impact on textiles, and if the findings of this research pan out over time, the business benefits of these minute particles look like being huge.
The use of nanotechnology in the textile industry is not entirely new; in fact, the market for textiles making use of nanotechnologies is going to be worth an estimated US$115bn in six years’ time. In...
Continuing our look at what lies ahead for the apparel industry and its supply chain in 2017, the panel of industry experts consulted by just-style last week tackled likely shifts in the sourcing land...
This week our focus turns to first thoughts from a panel of industry experts consulted by just-style on the challenges and opportunities likely to face the apparel supply chain in 2017, with prospects...
Welcome back after the holiday break, and from the team here at just-style I’d like to wish all our readers a happy and prosperous New Year....
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022